Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sport, Society & Me


My overall connection to sport comes from within. I truly enjoy being in the swimming pool with my teammates playing water polo, and I could do this for hours on end. I originally picked up water polo because I was on the swim team all through out my early years, and then my brother started playing. He has always been an inspiration to me and I really enjoyed watching his games while I was in the 7th grade. This is when I decided I wanted to play for the High School team during my 8th grade year. I had to petition to be the youngest non-high school student on the team, and it took quite some time but in the end I made it. I was so happy and ever since that first day of practice I knew I was completely committed to playing.

The role of sport in US society is definitely a positive role. I think it brings all different types of people from all different backgrounds together and collectively brings along support for one another. Of course there are some negative aspects such as the pressure to take enhancement supplements or trash talking, but it's all part of the game and whether or not the player wants to take that risk. The values that US sport teach us is to come together and help one another. Whether it be by practicing with teammates or having one on one time with the coach, it's all about growing and becoming the best athlete you can be.

I think sport in American society is very important. It brings people together, and not just the players but the viewers as well. It's entertaining, exciting, healthy and overall a true test of endurance. It's not for everyone, and therefore the players who are truly committed will succeed and weed out the one's who aren't putting their soul into the game. Athletes are extremely valued and are sometimes considered celebrities in the US. Like I said previously, it's not an easy thing to become an extreme athlete or professional player. It takes a lot of effort, time, focus, dedication and endurance which are all valued qualities in a player. Of course there is a level of respect that is earned, however not everyone is able to see this in the same way. For example, Richard Sherman who plays for the Seattle Seahawks was extremely ridiculed for his interview during the playoffs this past weekend. Little do some people know that this man is very well educated (graduated from Stanford) and dedicates all of his time to the sport of football. He watches recorded plays and study's players from different teams to grasp an understanding of their plays and routines. BUT, just because of the language he used and his tone of voice, people were turned away from respecting him as an extreme (famous) athlete.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on being the youngest player to ever play on your high school water polo team! That sounds like a perfect personal example of how sports play a role in individuals lives. However, I am curious as to your take on Richard Sherman? I agree with you 100% on how he is an unbelievable athlete who trains just as hard as anyone in the NFL, but what is your actual opinion of his on the field rant?

    -Alex Hiser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all thank you for the congrats! If I'm being completely honest, Richard Sherman was full of adrenaline and excitement because he (and the rest of his team) just beat their biggest rival in the league. According to stats, SF and SEA had both won 15 games each and not only was this game to determine who goes to the super bowl but it also determined who's "on top". On the other hand, I don't think that Sherman was wrong in his on field interview, but he didn't exactly use the most appropriate language. Like you said, he is an unbelievable athlete.

      Delete
    2. I also think that it is important to keep in mind the history between Richard Sherman and Michael Crabtree. There has been tension between the two athletes for several months now with trash talking back and forth. When Sherman ran across the field to say "good game, good game" to Crabtree, I think he was trying to harass Crabtree and rub the win in his face. Of course I could be wrong about this and the attempted handshake could have been sincere. However, I do not think any athlete should claim that they are the best. The entire win was focused around Richard Sherman when in reality the entire Seahawks team played very well. I do not agree with how Richard Sherman handled the situation at all, but I still think he is a fantastic athlete.

      -Tyler Martin

      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/report-crabtree-tried-to-fight-sherman-at-a-charity-event-last-year/

      http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

      Delete
  2. My post was quite similar to this one. My older brother was an inspiration for me to start competing heavily in sport as well. I think that sports can become part of ones life individually but when role models are interested or are participants in sports we become even more interested. I also agree with what you said regarding respect and athletes. Most athletes are held in a high regard, but everything that they say or so is so highly criticized and picked apart that often times athletes lose and unwarranted amount of respect based on a few moments or lapses in judgement which I believe is unfair to these athletes who are on occasion not much older than us.

    -Todd Kopf

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely correct in saying that sport is important in our society. It teaches us the values of hard work and dedication. It also teaches athletes to believe in themselves and to work hard to achieve their goals. Also, I liked how you made the connection between sport and community and that it brings us together and small communities, but also the large cities identify ourselves with.

    Chris Marsik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great discussion! - Prof Withycombe

    ReplyDelete