Friday, April 25, 2014

"Final Reflections"

Before I took this class, my perception of US sport was very narrow. I knew a lot about American football (or so I thought) and a ton about swimming and water polo since I was a player myself. I've always loved sports, and my family members have always been involved in sports, so I basically grew up learning about all of them. My understanding and perception of US sports culture has changed tremendously since I enrolled into this class. I didn't realize the amount of discipline and dedication it takes for a college athlete to play. I was more under the impression that being an athlete was mainly difficult for NFL, NBA, NHL and other professional divisions. Plus the thought of paying college athletes never even crossed my mind until we had discussions and debates in class about it.

Something that really stood out to me in class discussion was the perspective on disabled athletes. I found the video extremely informational and educating, while at the same time I didn't realize that there were so many options for "disabled" people. I also found the topic of athletes bodies being used as a form of prostitution very interesting. I always knew that athletes (especially women) were portrayed in a more sexual manner than they are in the game, but I didn't realize the extent of it all.

I think after this class is finished I will ask more critical questions about the US sports world. Now that I have a better understanding on sports in general, and have heard some of the perspectives from athletes, I feel capable enough to hold a conversation regarding any of the topics we have covered. I'm not sure if I will be able to use this information in my future career of becoming a dermatologist, but at the same time, you never know who you might meet. I still enjoy talking about sports and I will back my SEAHAWKS no matter what, but I don't see how this can truly relate to the medical field.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this class to future students and friends. I have already told a few friends to take this course because of the interest I had in it, and it's a fun class to be in. I really like how students get involved in class discussion, and it shows that we really care about the topics. Plus Professor Withycombe is the best teacher I have had since being at CU, and I really enjoy her teaching style.

No comments:

Post a Comment